The new FlowTracker2 (FT2) handheld Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter (ADV®) has all the technology you have grown to know and trust with the original FlowTracker, but now comes with functional, modernized features (Bluetooth, GPS and large color screen, to name only a few) based on the evaluation and feedback from hydrologists, researchers and scientists who have made the FlowTracker their instrument of choice.
- FREE ONLINE WEBINAR
The real power becomes clear from the moment you start to collect data. Each step of the way Flow Tracker 2 guides you along the measurement process with visual prompts and SmartQC audio alerts just in case something important needs your attention.
FT2 handheld software is intuitive, easy to navigate and includes real-time plots of point data, QC parameters, and measurement verticals, giving you everything you need at-a-glance. Get defensible data correctly, the first time, every time, and minimize data handling back at the office.
With rugged construction for any climate and multiple display options for both day and night, FT2 goes whenever and wherever you need it to go.
At its core, FT2 uses SonTek's tried-and-true ADV technology, vetted for decades by experts across the globe, in hydraulics labs and wide-ranging field environments. Improved and perfected for FT2, the acoustic-based ADV sensor offers unparalleled accuracy, particularly in low flow, and in the shallowest water of any wading device. 2-D data in the horizontal plane (2D/3D option available) allows the most comprehensive QC and understanding about flow conditions. User calibration is never required, and 24/7 tech support from SonTek and our worldwide team is only a call or click away.
Some of the major improvements now featured in FT2 come straight from field users like you. Here is a short list of time-saving, fool-proof features:
- Embedded GPS for georeferencing with automatic or manual fixes
- Improved ADV acoustics: faster pinging, lower noise and better standard error
- Battery life icon on the screen at all times. Pre-load the spare cartridge and replace, even mid-measurement, with no data loss
- Detachable probe with extension cables to customize cable length up to 10m
- Probes and handhelds are interchangeable—flexibility within agency teams and when sending equipment for service
- Set up and save templates—no need to re-enter data every time you visit a site
- Bluetooth or direct USB interface with PC
- Audio prompts
There is a lot to get excited about when using the new FT2 handheld. Intuitive workflow and rich graphics make for a modernized, interactive experience. Now you can:
- Rely on Flow Tracker 2 to automatically conform to proper methods based on depth
- View beam check or QC plots directly - know immediately if you have signal or beam blockage problems
- Get real-time plots of velocity and other parameters
- Enter comments and gage heights with any station
- View a running discharge summary
- See an image of top-set wading rod
- View an on-screen tilt sensor
- Edit data
SmartQC is a built-in quality control feature that gives you the added assurance your FlowTracker data is correct. With each measurement, data is compared to a variety of adaptive QC criteria to ensure the best measurement possible.
|Velocity Range||±0.001 to 4.0 m/s (0.003 to 13 ft/s)|
|Velocity Resolution||0.0001m/s (0.0003 ft/s)|
|Velocity Accuracy||+/- 1% of measured velocity + 0.25 cm/s|
|Acoustic Frequency||10.0 MHz|
|Sampling Volume Location||10 cm (3.93 in) from the center transducer|
|Minimum Depth||0.02 m (0.79 in)|
|Temperature Sensor||Resolution: 0.01° C, Accuracy: 0.1° C|
|Tilt Sensor||Accuracy: 1.0°|
|Operating/Storage Temperature||-20° C to 50° C (-4° F to 122° F)|
|Probe Head Dimensions||(L)13.3 cm (5.22 in)|
|(W) 6.1 cm (2.39 in)|
|(H) 2.3 cm (0.90 in)|
|Standard Cable Length||1.5 m (4.92 ft)|
|Weight in Air||0.90 kg (1.98 lbs)|
|Weight in Water||0.30 kg (0.66 lbs)|
|Input Battery Voltage||8 - 12 VDC|
|Power Supply||8 X AA Batteries (Alkaline)|
|Battery Life||Alkaline: 15 hours continuous use, typical settings*|
|Power Consumption||1 W (Average)|
|GPS: H. Position Accuracy||<2.5 m (8.2 ft)|
|GPS: Frequency||L1 (1.575 MHz)|
|SBAS compensation (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, GAGAN)|
|LCD Resolution||320 X 240 TFT Transmissive|
|Bluetooth||Class 2, Range = 10 m (33 ft) nominal|
|USB||Micro USB, IP-67|
|Battery Power to Probe||8 - 12 VDC|
|Data Storage||16 GB. Up to 10k discharge measurements|
|Up to 10 million velocity samples|
|Operating Temperature||-20° to 60° C (-4° F to 140° F)|
|Storage Temperature||-30° to 70° C (-22° F to 158° F)|
|Waterproof Rating||IP-67 (1m submersible)|
|Handheld Dimensions||(L)10.4 cm (4.1 in)|
|(W) 6.4 cm (2.5 in)|
|(H) 23.7cm (9.3 in)|
|Weight in Air||0.75 kg (1.65 lbs)|
|Weight in Water||0.25 kg (-0.55 lbs)|
*Defined as power on with screen on at 100% brightness, ADV sensor pinging 50% of the time, GPS off, and no sleep periods. Actual battery life will vary depending on FT2 settings, manner of use and brand of battery.
FlowTracker2 Software - PC
Comprehensive tables and time series graphs allow you to visualize and QC data during analysis. Change SmartQC criteria and edit data—yet rest assured the original file will always remain untouched. FT2's open-source JSON file format is ready to be read into any organization's database, and is supported with direct import to Hydstra and WISKI.
FlowTracker2: How to Make the Highest-Quality Measurements Using a Wading Device
If you're a hydrologist, scientist or water monitoring professional, chances are access to precise flow/discharge data in varying environmental conditions is important to your organization and the communities you serve. Better data means better decision making – often in situations that are critical and time-sensitive.
You might already be collecting data using the traditional mechanical current meter, or maybe you have hands-on experience with the SonTek FlowTracker or similar wading device. Either way, nothing beats the quality assurance, data accessibility and overall performance of the new FlowTracker2 handheld ADV.
Join SonTek Senior Hydrologist, Daniel Wagenaar and Application Engineer/Product Manager, Janice Landsfeld, as they review the traditional measurement process and how it is changing with technology. You will learn:
• The QA/QC Advantage: get comprehensive quality assurance and understanding about flow conditions. How to easily review essential parameters such as flow variability, flow angle, proper instrument orientation ... and QC as you are taking your measurement!
• What is an automatic beam check and how it helps you understand environmental conditions;
• More about FlowTracker2 features that streamline the data collection process, such as audio prompts, templates and rich graphics;
• Understand the breadth of post-processing options and see examples of tables, time series graphs and editing. See ALL data parameters per station and per point velocity, for a 360-view of your measurement;
• Helpful tips on site selection for optimal data reliability!